Number and Operations Literature:
- Emeka’s Gift
- Five Little Monkeys
- The M&M’s Counting Book
- Each Orange Had 8 Slices
- It’s Hard to Be Five
- Ten Apples Up On Top!
- Ten Black Dots
- Wee Sing and Learn 123
1. Discussion of Burns, Chapters 4 and 5
- A Capful of Fractions
- Math Under Pressure: with a partner, come up with two stressful “mathematical situations” you can recall experiencing as an adult.
2. Numbers and Operations Strand (NCTM Standards)
- Counting, comparing, place value, ordinal and cardinal numbers, connecting number words, numerals, quantities, rational numbers, addition and subtraction, computation tools
- Samples of Numbers and Operations manipulatives and visual aids (one to one correspondence manipulatives, numeral/quantity/word visuals, games, counting boxes/trays, books, subitizing ideas)
3. Numbers and Operations Activity Centers
- Fraction Cards – investigate fractional formulas
- Stringing Place Value – demonstrate understanding of place value from thousands to thousandths
- Dominoes – develop a list of number sense concepts you can address by using dominoes
- Vocabulary test – what do you remember??
- Playing cards – various number sense concepts
4. Y.C. – Chapters 2 and 4
- Principles in Teaching Math…
- Numbers and Operations
- Journal (Collaborize)
- Watch lectures
- Take notes on Google Docs
- Research summary due week 4. Place in Dropbox.